"What is a stink bug?" These little bugs (I have many terrible names for them) come from China...they are annoying bugs that you can not kill. "Why can't you kill these bugs?" That is simple, you squish them, the stink is soo bad it makes you sick. Also....their funk attracts their family members, so killing one brings more. How lovely. They have become such a problem in the area that I live in, it is really starting to get gross. I never heard of these little bugs until about 2 years ago when they starting invading the area my parents live at...about a half hour away from the city where I live. Well, they come out around the end of summer and last til the first frost. Lately they have traveled more towards my area and are becoming more and more pests in the area. My mom was on the phone with me earlier this afternoon and she was complaining her and my dad could not even go out on their deck, she counted 60 and she stopped as she was on the phone with me. People around this area (Pittsburgh Pennsylvania) have now made it funny to figure out what kills these little bugs. Seriously, nothing kills them....if these things get scared, they let out their "funk" and it stinks...attracts more. Vacuum them? Then your vacuum is filled with that smell. Literally, these things are taking over slowly...! I am praying for our first frost because that usually takes care of most of them. Now...like I said there are many ways people have tried to get rid of them. I haven't tried killing too many because luckily we have only found 4 in our house this year. I thought it would be fun to list 101 ways to kill a stink bug...I am going to list all the ways I have heard that works to kill them.....please leave me any feedback that I might miss. Tomorrow at my moms I told her I am going to find something that works...we will see!
These are all gathered by word of mouth and things that I have heard....let us know if you have tried any of these ways and if they actually work! Good luck!
1. Soak a pack of cigarettes in water over night, drain and use the water...Stink bugs do not like tobacco.
3. Catnip (mom tried the spray catnip...didn't work)
5. Organic Bug and Pest killers
6. Ax Body spray
7. water mixed with dish soap
9. skin so soft
11. vinegar and conola oil mixed
12. freeze them with canned air (this one my mom did....froze the little sucker til it turned white....it walked away)
15. Racoon Urine (seriously read this somewhere...not making it up)
16. rubbing alcohol
18. lysol spray
19. Neem Oil (no idea what this is)
20. gasoline (ummm this one scares me)
21. invest in a pet bat...bats eat them! (im tempted)
22. hot sauce
23. fly paper
24. hair spray
25. orange guard
26. Cats (mine will meow when they see a stink bug but wont go near it...fyi)
27. Blue Birds eat them! (might be better then a bat)
28. light traps
31. suffocate them in a plastic container
32. drown them in a water bottle
33. spray bombs
34. electronic fly swatters
35. halogen lamps
36. stabbing them with pens (i do not suggest this, obviously it is going to smell)
37. cinnomin oil
38. break cleaner
39. carburetor cleaner
40. Pyganic Dust (which I have no idea what this is)
This is the list that I have come up with....if anyone has anymore ideas on how to get rid of these things everyone would love to know! Post it on here and I will keep an update!
Also...if you want to prevent these things in your house, make sure you seal up all the windows and cracks, since it is going to be getting cold they are going to try everything to get in! Good luck!
These things creep me out and scare me so much...funny stink bug story coming tomorrow!